Friday, May 22, 2009

A Tribute to Mrs. Naugton

Hey Dave,

Your Mom was on my mind recently and I had a dream about her. I don't recall the details of the dream but I spent the next morning thinking about her and the special things that only your Mom could do.

Like skillfully putting her eye makeup on while driving us to school (it was raining that day, otherwise we would be walking).

She would wake up at four in the morning doing her chores. Just like the old U.S. Army commercial that said soldiers get more work done by six o'clock, than most people do at that time in the morning.

One time we were at Stone Harbor on the beach and I was scooping out a girl in a healthy set of lungs on her and your Mom looked at my eyes were fixed on this fine girl. All of a sudden I was startled out of my trance when I heard your mother say "Donald did I just see you checking that girl out! ". I could not say no. So I just looked at her and smiled.

One time we were in your basement and someone was being colorful with their language. They often used the "F" word. Your Mom was upstairs and yelled down "I cannot believe what I'm hearing, who ever is saying that stop immediately".

Who would forget the many family relatives of yours that lost limbs, got their heads bashed in, etc. because they were running around the pool or acting silly while on the pool's diving board. She never mentioned that your relatives died, but they were rushed to the hospital for treatment.

Everybody that knew her, knows that she had a heart of gold. She was a "Giver" always. Here's a memorable quote: “Steve, would you like an apple? … What about an orange?”

Your mother was so important to us while she was alive and just as much in spirit now. I can speak on behalf of the entire Hope Street Gang that we love you Mrs. Naugton and will never forget you.

Does anybody have comments worthy of sharing? Plus does anybody have a picture that we can post?

Here's Dave's comment:

Hi Don ,

Thank you for this. My sister Lorie was visiting this past weekend and we spent a lot of time talking about Hope St, our gang, and of course our Mom and Dad.

On the colorful language sometimes used in the basement and backyard.....my Mom once said to me that she was overhearing some very bad language coming from the basketball court in our back yard. She had to look out the window to see who it was coming from.......it was me of course. Another proud moment for my Mom as I used the f word as a noun, verb and adjective in the same sentence. Very similar to the speech I gave as I destroyed my Phil Niekro Strat-O-Matic card and threw him into the pool.

Not only could my Mom apply make-up while driving her car, in later years she learned to eat lunch out of a small picnic basket she keep with her whenever she drove anywhere. Tuna fish on toast with a Coke was her favorite. I often wonder what she would have done if cell phones where available while she among NJ motorists.

After Mom and Dad moved to south Jersey and were well into their "golden years", Mom would often speak about how much she loved living on Hope St. She loved the neighborhood and she loved the fact that all the guys felt comfortable enough to make her home part of their daily routine. She loved feeding us, talking with us and knowing that we were welcome. Obviously my Mom thrived on chaos and dysfunction. Mostly she loved my "colorful" play by play during our b-ball games in front of the garage.

Some of you might remember my Mom's mother, Nana Tanis. If my Mom was out running errands, my Nana would often be left in charge of the house. Who could forget her frequent calls into the basement.............."David............you alright ?" This would be repeated every 15 minutes until my Mom returned. All the while, we were only watching the most recent installment of " Rob and Lynn in Ocean City" produced and directed by Mr Hannings

Thanks for remembering my Mom, she certainly loved us all very much.

Dave

Here's Ed's comment:

I'd like to add my condolences and fond remembrances. She was a very patient and very kind person to not only put up with us, but to embrace us the way she did.

Unfortunately, I don't recall much specifically in terms of quotes and anecdotes, as I have trouble remembering where I live these days. But I do remember the Anglia...

I drove down Hope St. not too long ago. You would scarcely recognize it. And the center of town: there's nothing left there from our days. Drapkin's, Sealfon's, Woolworth, BR, Irving's, Agels... all gone, replacedby faceless corporate entities.

However, the church is still there at the corner of Hope St., windows just waiting to be broken, and furniture and food inside all waiting to bestolen and transported to the clubhouse.
Good times!
E

No comments: